Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Who has info on Gridfinity - is it for real?
Weergeven resultaten 1 tot 8 van 8

Onderwerp: Who has info on Gridfinity - is it for real?

Rep Kracht

Exclamation Who has info on Gridfinity - is it for real?

I've signed up for the gridfinity.com project through boinc - no problems. You just register at the site and when prompted enter the email address and password you created/used to register.

VM player or other virtualization software is not required under win32, just boinc. Have run test work units on a couple of machines and nothing seemed to trigger any firewall/spyware alerts. So all seems copacetic.

I'd like to know if anybody has any info on this company that I can't get just from Googling. Got less than 100 hits on "gridfinity.com".

Do these guys have any clients lined up?

Are the payouts for real?

Who is providing funding? Venture capital?

Are they associated with any commercial grid player?

Any info not currently available on the web would be of interest.

Thanks.

Leeftijd
    Rep Kracht

Standaard Re: Who has info on Gridfinity - is it for real?

Citaat Origineel gepost door cetrynn Bekijk Bericht
    I've signed up for the gridfinity.com project through boinc - no problems. You just register at the site and when prompted enter the email address and password you created/used to register.

VM player or other virtualization software is not required under win32, just boinc. Have run test work units on a couple of machines and nothing seemed to trigger any firewall/spyware alerts. So all seems copacetic.

I'd like to know if anybody has any info on this company that I can't get just from Googling. Got less than 100 hits on "gridfinity.com".

Do these guys have any clients lined up?

Are the payouts for real?

Who is providing funding? Venture capital?

Are they associated with any commercial grid player?

Any info not currently available on the web would be of interest.

Thanks.
    Most answers to your questions can be found on there website. Also the maintainer of the project has also posted in this forum, see here (posts by a person called "pat"),

http://www.boinc.be/vbulletin/showth...?t=2774&page=2

We have as much info as you do.

R.

La Brute ... niet voor wussies - #1

Rep Kracht

There's always more information out there - you just have to find the people willing to share it. They seem legit, but I don't take someone's website as being the final word - too much self-interest and too little candor. I've mentioned that I was at grid.org. They were telling us about their future plans right up until the day they decided to shut down their operation. So anything a company's web site says gets a low credibility rating just on principle.

However if I get the same information from a variety of sources, I can give that information greater weight.

Ultimately the test will be if and/or when they send out WU's. But it can't hurt to do some trolling before hand. That's all I'm trying to do.

But thanks for the response.

Leeftijd
    Rep Kracht

In any case your financial risk is not high. If, and for most of us that will be a big IF, you decide to crunch for them, you can take up payment when you earned 10$. Supposing they pay 0.05$ per hour, that would be 200 hours of crunching. If they turn out to be cheats, which I doubt, that would be al you lose: 200 hours of crunching time.

Question remains of course if you are willing to contribute to such commercial endeavour. Their clients will not be research projects, but also commercial enterprises. Unless you get paid enough to cover all your expenses (electric bill, writing off material, time you put in it), it would be silly to help another make profit. This IMHO

Rep Kracht

If gridfinity is for real, then their payouts will have to at least compensate people for their costs - electricity and a nominal amount of time. From what I've been able to gather, the payouts will be between 12 and 27 cents per hour per cpu depending on the speed of the processor. Assuming a minimum payout for the seven machines I'm running, that's several hundred dollars per month. As someone on a fixed income, that could make a difference. I'm not poor, but I don't vacation in Bali either. An extra $400 or $500 per month would be a big help.

After being burned by Grid.org and being abused by some of the pinheads at WCG, I don't feel any sense of loyalty to any DC project. I hope Gridfinity IS for real just so it can be a wake up call to the existing DC projects that they should have a little more respect for their volunteers.

The charities I give money to at least acknowledge my contribution by sending me a thank you note a couple times a year. If I have to choose between donating computing resources to a group that treats me like cr@p and one that is willing to pay me for my time, it's a no brainer - regardless of what kind of projects they decide to take on. If Pixar will pay Gridfinity 30 cents per hour for cpu time and I'll get 90% of that, then I'm happy to crunch for Pixar instead of Scripps or Berkley.

Leeftijd
    Rep Kracht

If gridfinity is for real, then their payouts will have to at least compensate people for their costs - electricity and a nominal amount of time. From what I've been able to gather, the payouts will be between 12 and 27 cents per hour per cpu depending on the speed of the processor. Assuming a minimum payout for the seven machines I'm running, that's several hundred dollars per month. As someone on a fixed income, that could make a difference. I'm not poor, but I don't vacation in Bali either. An extra $400 or $500 per month would be a big help.

After being burned by Grid.org and being abused by some of the pinheads at WCG, I don't feel any sense of loyalty to any DC project. I hope Gridfinity IS for real just so it can be a wake up call to the existing DC projects that they should have a little more respect for their volunteers.

The charities I give money to at least acknowledge my contribution by sending me a thank you note a couple times a year. If I have to choose between donating computing resources to a group that treats me like cr@p and one that is willing to pay me for my time, it's a no brainer - regardless of what kind of projects they decide to take on. If Pixar will pay Gridfinity 30 cents per hour for cpu time and I'll get 90% of that, then I'm happy to crunch for Pixar instead of Scripps or Berkley.
    Of course if they have enough crunchers they will easily make a lot of money.

It is your decision what you want to crunch of course, the computers are yours to command. I'm not really for these commercial products but then again, that is just my personal opinion.

I have never heard on issues at WCG, do you have any details on this since I was thinking of crunching that projects as well but I don't want to get into the same mess as with Predictor@home.

Rep Kracht

Citaat Origineel gepost door Krikke Bekijk Bericht
    Of course if they have enough crunchers they will easily make a lot of money.

It is your decision what you want to crunch of course, the computers are yours to command. I'm not really for these commercial products but then again, that is just my personal opinion.

I have never heard on issues at WCG, do you have any details on this since I was thinking of crunching that projects as well but I don't want to get into the same mess as with Predictor@home.
    I understand what you're saying. If I'm going to be honest, I have to say I would feel a little guilty about crunching for cash especially when I've been doing for so long for free. On the other hand, I really could use the cash and with an electricity bill of over $500 for last month, it's something I need to consider - seriously.

WCG is a lot better than Grid.org was. The scientists who use the data occasionally post on the forums and the tech support staff is great. My problem is with some of the people WCG calls Community Advisors. They're lilke Moderators but without some of the powers a mod would normally have. Anything thread pruning, locking, editing has to be done by a sys admin - I think. Even so, they're constantly online and will try to shoot you down if you express an opinion they don't agree with. This isn't all of the CA's, just a couple and lately they've been fairly well behaved as far as I can tell.

WCG has a lot of good projects and they offer both boinc and the old United Devices client. Personally I think that boinc needs a lot of work before it's ready for adoption by non-technical types. I only run it on dual core machines with enough ram to handle it and it doesn't cause me any serious problems. However I can't even get it to run on most older machines - in particular those with old ATI graphics cards. The one or two it did run on caused those machines to slow to a crawl. I think this is due mainly to their having only 512mb of ram and running other cpu/memory intensive software like spyware doctor. However the UD agent works well on those same machines.

Also, I'm still running the 5.8.x version of boinc which ignores your idle time preferences - a major bug as far as I'm concerned. The 5.10.x version is, I believe, supposed to fix that but I've been seeing a lot of bug reports on that so I'm staying away from it for at least a couple more months.

What is the Prediction project (climate prediction?) and why was that a mess?

Leeftijd
    Rep Kracht

I understand what you're saying. On the other hand, I really could use the cash and with an electricity bill of over $500 for last month, it's something I need to consider - seriously.

Personally I think that boinc needs a lot of work before it's ready for adoption by non-technical types. I only run it on dual core machines with enough ram to handle it and it doesn't cause me any serious problems. However I can't even get it to run on most older machines - in particular those with old ATI graphics cards. The one or two it did run on caused those machines to slow to a crawl. I think this is due mainly to their having only 512mb of ram and running other cpu/memory intensive software like spyware doctor. However the UD agent works well on those same machines.

What is the Prediction project (climate prediction?) and why was that a mess?
    I can understand what you are saying about earning something extra but then again, my point of view is that if you not willing to donate this to the science projects you don't have too. Its a volunteer driven project.

About the old computers, I don't have any old ones running so I could be wrong but I don't think they will be able to run WU's from Gridfinity in VMware better than they can run BOINC projects.

The issue with the predictor@home (not CPDN - climate prediction) can be found in several other fora. Short story several members were banned and their accounts deleted because they were member of a certain group.
    Check http://www.boincstats.com/forum/foru...ad.php?id=1898 for more info since we stopped discussing the issue quite some time ago.

Thread Information